Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Academics // Global Business Honors

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Ni Hao, peng you!


That’s “hello friend” in Mandarin Chinese, which should be a useful phrase for me when I arrive in Beijing for Spring Break. I leave for the trip at 8:30 in the morning Friday March 12th and I figured I would write about it now, since I will probably be too busy with packing during the week!

Beijing Skyline



I am going to China with the Global Business Honors Program that I talked about in my second post. Both my class and the class of 2012 GBHPers will be making the 14 hour plane ride to what will most likely be everyone’s most memorable spring break to date. The trips abroad are definitely one of my most favorite aspects of GBHP. Having traveled to London, Dublin, Paris, and Buenos Aires (where the photo at the top of this page was taken) with the program in the past, I cannot wait to experience China.


We received our itinerary last week and our schedule is packed with both business and cultural outings. We will be visiting to the Mutianyu Great Wall and touring locations such as Tian'anmen Square, the Forbidden City, the Drum Tower, and the Houhai Lake Area. There are also several business visits to My Decker Capital, The Nielsen Company, and the China Vocational Training Holdings Co., Ltd as well as lectures at The Beijing Center focused on Chinese history, politics, and the private vs. state sectors of the Chinese economy.


To prepare for the trip, our GBHP director organized several hours of Chinese language and culture lessons. However, it seems like no amount of guide books or language tapes can really prepare you for visiting a place like China. It will be an eye opening experience to visit a place that is different from the US in so many ways. I am sure that I will have plenty to say about it when I return, and I will be sure to update with highlights of the trips (and hopefully some pictures!).


Now I am off to look for a map and a Chinese to English dictionary! Have a great Spring Break everyone!


Zai jian!


--Post by Lucy Curran, CBA, '11

No comments:

Post a Comment